I am raising this concern in the interest of Public.
1. My Mother In law fell at home around 3am in Madukkur at her resident.
2. Relatives shifted her to Government Hospital in Pattukkottaiat around 4:30am on 10th Sept 2017 , where they verified her and referred to a private hospital for CT brain Scan, since they did not have that facility.
3.Private hospital took the scan & said she has blood clotting in her brains and there is no further treatment nor she can be saved.
4.After Request Private hospital referred to Thanjavur Medical College in Thanjavur.
5.We shifted her to Thanjavur Medical College via Ambulance & doctors started treating her.
6. I reached Thanjavur from Bangalore at around 9pm on 10th Sept 2017 and upon speaking to Doctor, he confirmed that 1 clotting has already busted and if another one bursts then, they cannot save her.So they were treating to ensure the other one doesn't burst .Doctor also said, if she is stable tomorrow, then they will operate her.
7. At around 5:30am on 11th Sept 2017, we got to know from doctor that, other Blood Clot got busted and her brain is dead.
8. Later Doctors gave her ventilator and said that she will be on ventilator for till her hear beat / pulse stops. They said that the condition is so bad that, it will stop in couple of hours.
9. On 11th Sept 2017 around 7pm, I spoke to doctor Narayan requesting him to Discharge the patient since her brain is already dead and any further treatment cannot survive her.
10.Dr Narayan Claimed to me stating that there is no policy as such, where in Patient cannot be discharged even if if the relatives take full claim of her death.
11.Again on 12th Sept Doctors said the above statement.
12. This was getting off our hands & i spoke to Doctor and asked them to give in written stating that, what ever the treatment doctors are giving will ensure survival of patients, they denied.
13. I wrote a letter to Doctor on the whole scenario requesting them to discharge the patient, if not i would be sending a complaint to Medical Council of India(Attached letter).
14. Finally they agreed to discharge her with the support of Ventilator Ambulance and by the time we reached home her complete hear beat was stopped and she was declared dead.
My concern here is, when the Brain was dead on 11th sept 2017, why was the ventilator provided? when they know they cant save the patient?
Later I found the truth that Ventilator was given to keep the Pulse & hear beat running, so that they can train their students by practically. I had even seen students entering ICU, where in even the close relatives are not permitted.
In fact, My Mother in law was given Drips(NS with Some Injection) even when her brain was dead?
This is ridiculous , Using the patients who expire for the Training purpose. In Fact i saw couple of more cases like this where in People / Family members are waiting outside the hospital for 4 to 5 days just to collect the dead Body.
I am not sure if some one has made a noise since most of the people who go their are illiterate & Unaware of Medical terms / condition.
One Must Look into this very seriously & ensure such cases do not affect any family members
Need any more information, please contact me, so that People get the right Justice.